If travelling is something that you have got a passion for that travelling to mountain places, treks and passes, hill ranges must be your taste for vacations. There is a place where you can enjoy the beauty of nature with a flavour of adventure. The silence of the air on one side and the flair of snowy mountains on the other, it is an awesome combination of these two. The place which is being talked about here is the Baralacha La pass.
Knowing the Geography
This amazing pass is located around 73 kilometres from Keylong on Manali-Leh road and this pass also connects Lahaul in Himachal Pradesh to Ladakh in J&K. The three mountain ranges that are, Pir Panjal, Zanskar and the Himalayas meet at this plateau of the Baralacha La pass.
Situated at an altitude of 16400 feet, Baralacha La pass is a high mountain pass in the state of Jammu and Kashmir and is a passage through Zaskar mountain range. With the presence of the Bhaga river at a few kilometres distance from this pass and also there are many famous treks like Suraj Tal and Chandra Tal Trek.
When to visit?
The Baralacha La pass is closed in winter due to the heavy snowfall which takes place in the winter season so the ideal time to visit this place is anywhere between the months April and October as by this time the snow melts and the road is made open for travellers.
Things to know about the Baralacha La pass:
- Baralacha, the word means where many roads meet. As one reaches Baralacha La pass, what you get to see is the cool blue waters of Suraj Tal which are marked by an outline of snow. Three rivers Bhaga, Chandra and Yunan originate in the vicinity of this pass and hence you can enjoy river rafting too.
- Baralacha LA is at a pretty high altitude, so be prepared for high altitude excitement and one more interesting thing is this pass is mentioned in Rudyard Kipling’s novel Kim.
- For food, you get to have the Tibetan cuisines like soups, momos and noodles at the restaurants nearby the pass.
- The mountain pass is situated deep the end of lower Himalayas in India and serves as a commencing point to some of the famous trekking routes in that region.
Added attractions near Baralacha La Pass:
- The first one is the Suraj Tal Lake from where the river Bhaga originates, it is located just a few kilometres from the pass towards Manali and is a must visit if you happen to visit Baralacha La pass.
- Another beautiful lake near to the Baralacha La pass is the Chandra Tal Lake, which means a lake of the moon. It is a popular place among the tourist for enjoying the sunrise and sunsets by camping around the lake.
- Dipak Tal Lake is small tented accommodation for tourists and is a very enticing place to spend a night before climbing the long uphill of the Baralacha.
So next time you plan a trip, Baralacha La pass is an option worth considering and recommending after experiencing it.