Words fall short when it comes to the city of Nizams. Hyderabad, a place that makes you feel proud with its history, a place that brings a smile on your face with its unique language, a place that satisfies your appetite with its world-famous BIRYANIS and delectable cuisine! Boasting an amazing combination of modern-day culture with old traditions, this city has always impressed the tourists with its irresistible charm and beauty. And being a resident of Hyderabad, I can proudly say that the city has a lot more to offer than just its pages of history.
Let me talk to you on a walk.
Table of Contents
- 1. Enjoy a Drive at Hussain Sagar Lake
- 2. Get Filmy at Ramoji Film City
- 3. Cultural Tour to Shilparamam
- 4. Explore Wildlife at Nehru Zoological Park
- 5. Take Blessing from Birla Mandir
- 6. Stroll Around the Charminar
- 7. Visit Golconda Fort
- 8. Shop at Laad Bazaar (Choodi Bazaar)
- 9. A Day Out at Jalavihar
- 10. Chilkoor Balaji Temple
1. Enjoy a Drive at Hussain Sagar Lake
Considered to be one of the best places to enjoy a romantic drive in Hyderabad, Hussain Sagar Lake offers picturesque views of the Buddha statue, which lies in the centre of the lake. It’s a great place to spend some pleasant moment in the evening or to click memorable pictures with your friends. Other than majestic views, you can also try your hand at parasailing and boating activities.
- Location: 2 km drive from Hyderabad, Telangana
- Timings: 9 am to 9 am (Closed on Mondays)
2. Get Filmy at Ramoji Film City
A perfect tourist spot for all holidaymakers alike, Ramoji Film City is the largest integrated film city in Hyderabad. It’s a powerhouse of entertainment.
Take a tour to experience the behind the scenes shoot or enjoy some adventurous activities with several adrenaline-filled rides. Here you can also explore natural and artificial attractions with many restaurants serving mouth-watering dishes.
P.S. You may get a chance to see your favourite Tollywood Hero in action!
- Location: Anaspur Village, Hayathnagar Mandal, Hyderabad, Telangana
- Timings: 9 am to 5:30 pm
3. Cultural Tour to Shilparamam
Shilparamam, a village created with an idea of preserving arts and crafts, is a favourite spot among the localities of Hyderabad. It is nestled amidst lush greenery, rocks, cascading waterfalls, and gorgeous lawns. From recreational area, museum, waterfalls, sculpture park and amphitheatre, this place has several things to see and explore.
- Location: Hi-Tec City Main Road, Madhapur, Near Cyber Towers, Hyderabad, Telangana
- Timings: 10:30 am to 8 pm
4. Explore Wildlife at Nehru Zoological Park
Famous for its wildlife, zoo, and rides, the Nehru Zoological Park is spread over an area of 300-acre and has an array of more than 1500 species of animals and reptiles. As we all know that children love spending time at the zoo, it’s a perfect base for families with little ones. Here you can also enjoy elephant rides along with exploring the Natural History Museum, Lion Safari Park and Children’s Train Museum.
- Location: Bahadurpura, Hyderabad, Telangana
- Timings: 8 am to 5:30 pm (except on Mondays)
5. Take Blessing from Birla Mandir
For all those who want to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life, Birla Mandir is a great place to visit. It’s a haven for the devotees of Lord Vishnu and is also a blissful spot for the lovers of ancient architecture. Here you can explore the panoramic views of the city or enjoy the night-time illumination.
P.S. Don’t leave this place without attending the morning or evening aarti if you want to surround yourself with serenity.
- Location: Hill Fort Road, Ambedkar Colony, Khairatabad, Hyderabad, Telangana
- Timings: 7 am to 12 noon during the day and 3 pm to 9 pm in the evening
6. Stroll Around the Charminar
The symbol of Hyderabad, Charminar is located towards the heart of the city. Built in 1951, this architectural masterpiece possesses its own unique character and that Nawabi Charm in itself.
Widely popular among travellers of all ages, Charminar is an iconic landmark to look forward to. To make the most out of the view, you can climb on the top of it.
Don’t get scared after seeing the crowd here. If you want to taste the real flavour of the old city, it’s the right place to visit and explore.
- Location: Char Kaman, Ghansi Bazar, Hyderabad, Telangana
- Timings: 9:30 am to 5:30 pm
7. Visit Golconda Fort
Also recognized as the prestigious glory of Hyderabad, Golconda Fort is one of the most popular landmarks in the city. Nestled on the western edge of the town, this architectural Marvel attracts a huge number of history lovers, travellers and archaeological enthusiasts every day.
If you want to take a step back and re-cherish the historic moments again, be sure to visit this place whenever you come to Hyderabad. Also, don’t miss the light and sound show, which is usually organized in the evening. However, the timings may vary throughout the year. So, make sure to check everything before you decide to head there.
- Location: Khair Complex, Ibrahim Bagh, Hyderabad, Telangana
- Timing: 9 am to 5:30 pm
8. Shop at Laad Bazaar (Choodi Bazaar)
Your Hyderabad trip won’t be complete without visiting Laad Bazaar. A paradise for shopaholics, Laad Bazaar is famous for its variety of bangles. It is situated close to the Charminar and is an ideal place for all those who want to bring some special souvenirs and mementoes back home. Here you can buy everything from traditional jewellery, pearls and matching accessories at a reasonable price. Other than that, the market is also known for selling perfumes, fabrics and decorative household items.
P.S. My husband gifted me a pair of Bangles on last Karva Chauth from Laad Bazaar and trust me, the bangles were awesome. I love accessorizing them with every traditional outfit I wear.
- Location: Laad Bazaar, Char Kaman, Ghansi Bazaar, Hyderabad, Telangana
- Timings: 11 am to 11 pm
9. A Day Out at Jalavihar
Spend some quality time with your family and children at Jalavihar – an amusement park located at Necklace Road in Hyderabad. It has endless entertainment to offer within its boundaries.
From innumerable rides to various water games and from mini aqua trailers to float slides, this place is worth paying a visit.
- Location: 22/9, Necklace Road, Hussain Sagar, Hyderabad, Telangana
- Timings: 10:30 am to 7 pm
10. Chilkoor Balaji Temple
Also referred to as Visa Balaji Temple, Chilkoor Balaji Temple is one of the oldest temples in Hyderabad and is famous for solving all sorts of visa problems. Lying on the banks of Osman Sagar Lake, this temple attracts thousands of US aspirants every year and is a place where no VIP treatment is given to anyone.
- Location: Chilkoor Balaji Temple Road, Himayat Nagar, Hyderabad, Telangana
- Timings: 5 am to 8 pm
The Bottom Line
Whether you’re visiting Hyderabad for fun or for a business meeting, take some time out to visit the above-mentioned places for sure. Also, you can create your own checklist to explore the local attractions of your choice. It’s up to you how you want to enjoy your trip! These are some of the best places I love visiting whenever I get enough time on weekends. What’s yours?