All of us want to stay healthy. A well-balanced body defines it. Though there are a lot of factors associated with it. Your diet, exercise and lifestyle all matters. It includes balancing cholesterol and blood sugar levels, hormone production, bacterial conditions etc. In this article, we will tell you bacteria can actually help you stay healthy.
Many of you might wonder but it is true that there are hundreds of trillions of bacterial occupants in your body. They not only live but actually work for you. In addition to this, they keep the GI tract in good condition. This gut flora makes up 70–80 per cent of the human immune system. Moreover, they help digest your food and fight invading microbes.
Table of Contents
- What Are Probiotic Supplements?
- Benefits of Probiotic Supplements
- Who Can Benefit from Taking Probiotics?
- What to Look for in a Good Probiotic Supplement
- 1. Now Foods Probiotic-10
- 2. Nutrition Now PB 8 Pro-Biotic
- 3. Renew Life Ultimate Flora Critical Extra Care
- 4. Culturelle Digestive Health Probiotic
- 5. Dr Mercola Complete Probiotics
Whenever you hear about bacteria, the only thing comes to your mind is diseased. For this reason, you avoid bacteria. Although many types of bacteria can cause sickness there are many bacteria that are highly beneficial to overall health. These bacteria help the body to regulate digestive health, improve immune function etc. Good bacteria are called probiotics that reside naturally in your body. Probiotics are good for your health. The most common probiotic-containing ingredients are fermented or cultured ones. These are available in yoghurt sauerkraut, kefir or in various dietary supplements.
Since long doctors have been prescribing probiotics but recently people have started including these extraordinary supplements in their daily diets. Taking probiotics regularly have reported many improvements in their overall health.
- improved digestive function
- weight loss
- lowered cholesterol
- normalized blood pressure
- less sick days
To support your digestive health you need to add more probiotics foods to your daily diet. But if you miss those foods then the best option is to take a probiotic supplement.
What Are Probiotic Supplements?
Probiotic Supplements contain bacteria that can help regulate digestive health and promote many aspects of wellbeing. The most effective probiotics out there come in supplement form.
Are all Probiotic Supplements Good?
There are many scientific studies conducted to check the efficacy of probiotic supplements. As there are many different microorganisms that are good for different conditions. The fact is specific cultures and strains of bacteria are good for treating different conditions. There are thousands of bacterial strains that can be helpful in the body. With so many different strains it is important to know which are good and which aren’t? Check the best probiotic supplements formulated using the most scientifically studied and effective strains available.
Benefits of Probiotic Supplements
Some of the benefits of probiotic supplements are:
- Helps regulate digestive health
- Improves digestion
- Improves immune function
- Relieves constipation
- Prevents gas and bloating
- Relieves symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Relieves diarrhoea
- Helps prevent allergies and colds
- Improves oral health (teeth)
- Improves urinary and vaginal health
- Improves skin conditions, such as eczema
- Increases overall health and wellbeing
Before going ahead, let us answer the queries of your mind.
Who Can Benefit from Taking Probiotics?
Everyone can benefit from Probiotics. Adding probiotics means to improve your gut flora. Although it is beneficial for men and women of all ages. Still, there are some people who need it badly. Those are the people who have:
Digestive problems: Those who have digestive issues such as irritable bowel syndrome, diarrhoea etc probiotics are very helpful for them. Probiotics regulate the digestive system and restore the body’s natural ability to digest and process foods.
Taken antibiotics recently: It’s good to add probiotics to your diet if you have recently taken a course of antibiotics. It is because antibiotics kill gut bacteria. They deteriorate bad bacteria and simultaneously destroy the good bacteria too. Taking probiotic can replace gut flora to restore the normal digestive system.
Restricted Dairy products from diet: The best food sources of probiotics are dairy products, like yoghurt and kefir. Those who avoid dairy products can’t get enough good bacteria in your natural diet. Probiotics Supplements can help up your natural intake and improve digestive health.
How To Take a Probiotic
Probiotic-rich foods, like yoghurt, can become a part of a healthy diet, too. You can take many supplements found in pill or capsule form. The dosage of each product differs. It is good to check the quantity of a specific supplement. Having it empty stomach can cause some discomfort. It is better to take probiotics with your meal. Take the recommended dose and follow the instructions on the product packaging.
What to Look for in a Good Probiotic Supplement
You should look for following things when choosing a supplement:
Probiotic content – Check the actual count of probiotic cultures in each capsule. Usually, it will be like 10 or 50 billion. With this, you can compare two different products but it doesn’t tell you everything you need to know.
Types of probiotics – Among different types of beneficial bacterias Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium are the most common. There are different strains within each of those categories. Check out the ingredient label and take specific culture prescribed by the doctor.
Brand quality –It is very important to look for brand quality. The best brand will always use high-quality ingredients to deliver a high-quality product. For this, you can check the reviews and our list of recommendations.
Value – Go for a quality product at a reasonable price. Never go for cheap products.
Are There Any Side Effects?
Taking probiotics is safe if you follow the instructions and don’t take too much. Still, there are a few potential side effects of probiotics to be aware of:
- Stomach discomfort/gas: Some people may experience minor stomach discomfort bloating after taking probiotics.
- Allergic reactions: Very rare, people experience allergic reactions to some ingredients found in probiotics.
Which One is Right for You?
Read the Label
Few things you should be able to find on the label:
- The genus, species, and strain of the probiotic
- Number of organisms alive by the use-by date
- Company name and contact information
Choose a Reliable Brand
Some companies are popular and you may know their names. Choose the one who has tested and studied them over and over. Check a third-party certifier (like ConsumerLab or the USP) to see whether they have tested the product. Whether they found it’s safe and reliable.
Check for Different Strains
Different strains of probiotic bacteria have slightly different functions. No doubt the supplement that contains multiple strains tend to be more effective. These strains work together to influence your health.
- acidophilus—the Most important strain of the Lactobacillus species as it readily colonizes on the walls of the small intestine. It supports digestion of dairy foods and enhances nutrient absorption.
- longum—Most common bacteria found in the digestive tracts of adults that helps maintain the integrity of the gut wall. Well known as the scavenger of toxins.
- bifidum—This strain important for the healthy digestion of dairy products. As you get old and your digestion weakens this becomes important as it breaks down complex carbohydrates, fat, and protein into small components and increases nutrient absorption.
After knowing all about probiotics you want to add it in your diet. Now the question arises how to choose a good probiotic supplement. As there are so many different brands available in different forms such as capsules, tablets, powders, liquids and lozenges. How can you determine which one is right for you? Well, the hard part is figuring out exactly which probiotic supplement will work best for you.
We will help you find the right one. We have reviews of popular probiotic supplement available in the market. We’ll tell you everything you need to know to find the best probiotic supplements that suit your needs.
1. Now Foods Probiotic-10
Probiotic-10 is made by NOW Foods. NOW Foods is one of the leading producers of dietary supplements and health foods. It is designed to provide a high potency and balanced spectrum of beneficial bacteria found in human intestinal tracts. They are important for healthy digestion, help maintain the integrity of the intestinal lining, support proper intestinal motility and participate in the detoxification process. Regular intake can aid in maintaining healthy immune system function.
- 10 unique probiotic strains
- Healthy Intestinal Flora
- 25 billion cultures (CFU’s) per capsule
- Vegan formula
- Dairy, wheat & gluten free
- Promotes healthy digestion
- Improves the immune system
- Made by a great company
- Excellent value for money
- Helpful in treating digestive health issues
- Great reviews
- High culture count
- Convenient single-capsule serving size
- One of the best probiotics for men and women alike
Composition: 25 billion active cultures from 10 different strains
Proprietary Blend of 10 Strains of Probiotic Bacteria
Cellulose, FOS (Fructooligosaccharides), Ascorbyl Palmitate and Silica. Contains no salt, starch, wheat, gluten, soy, milk, egg, shellfish or preservatives.
Directions for Use: Take 1 capsule daily between meals or on an empty stomach. This product is formulated to deliver a potency of 25 Billion Organisms through the Best By date.
Overall, Probiotic 10 is a fantastic probiotic supplement. We recommended it because of its high culture count, affordable price and also made from a reputed and trustworthy company.
2. Nutrition Now PB 8 Pro-Biotic
Nutrition Now PB8 is made by Nutrition Now. It’s got a lower probiotic content but made of high-quality ingredients. Thus it does a great job of improving digestive health, inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria and supports healthy immune function. It is also quite affordable and effective probiotic supplement.
- 14 billion CFU per serving
- 8 different strains
- Enhances digestive health
- Helps maintain healthy gut bacteria
- Useful for treating digestive health issues
- Very affordable
- Well reviewed
- 14 billion active cultures(CFU) from 8 different strains
- Gelatin (capsules) and Rice Powder.
Directions for Use: Take two (2) capsules per day. 14 billion good bacteria per serving at a time of manufacture.
3. Renew Life Ultimate Flora Critical Extra Care
Introduction: Ultimate Flora Extra Care is a powerful high potency probiotic supplement made by Renew Life. This is one of the best digestive health supplement due to the presence of 50 billion live cultures in each capsule. When taken regularly, it also helps promote digestive and immune health so you feel better, lighter, and more energized.
- 50 billion cultures (CFU’s) per capsule
- 10 different probiotic strains
- Enteric coated capsules to delay the release
- Promotes digestive health
- Improves immune health
- Relieves chronic upset stomach, IBS, and other digestive issues
- High culture count
- Well received in probiotic reviews
- Excellent value for money
- Quality guaranteed
- 50 billion active probiotic cultures from 10 different strains
- Vegetable capsule (vegetable fibre and water) and cellulose.
Directions for Use:
For best results, take one capsule daily, with or without food.
4. Culturelle Digestive Health Probiotic
Introduction: Culturelle Digestive Health Probiotic is an effective probiotic supplement. It has a unique strain of probiotic known as Lactobacillus GG as a main active ingredient. With 10 billion active cultures per serving it provides your body with a solid dose of healthy bacteria that keeps your digestive system on track and supports immune health too.
- 10 billion CFU per serving
- 1 probiotic strain
- Reduces digestive upset
- Supports healthy digestion
- Restores the natural balance of healthy bacteria
- Supports immune function
- One capsule per day
- 10 billion active cultures(CFU) from 1 different strain
- Lactobacillus GG, Inulin (Chicory root extract), hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, sucrose, maltodextrin, sodium ascorbate, magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide, and titanium dioxide (colour)
Directions for Use: Take one capsule per day to support digestive and immune health. If experiencing digestive upset, two (2) capsules daily are recommended until discomfort subsides.
5. Dr Mercola Complete Probiotics
Dr Mercola Complete Probiotics is a strong probiotic supplement with 70 billion CFU per serving. A unique blend of 10 different strains of healthy probiotics to feed good bacteria in your gut. Complete Probiotics is convenient and powerful. These are engineered for quality and maximal health benefits for your whole body.
- Contains super strain Lactobacillus acidophilus
- Contains a minimum of 70-90 billion bacteria
- All bacteria are of human origin
- Non-dairy, free from soy, corn, wheat and gluten
- Highly beneficial bacterial strains
- Capsules are vegetable based
- 70 billion active cultures(CFU) from 10 different strains
- Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1, Bifidobacterium lactis, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Lactobacillus brevis, Bifidobacterium longum, Lactobacillus salivarius, streptococcus thermophilus, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Vegetable Cellulose, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Fructooligosaccharide, Silicon dioxide
Directions for Use: Take two (2) capsules per day, preferably in the morning. Refrigeration recommended but not required.
Dr Mercola Complete Probiotics is one of the top probiotic supplement. With a massive culture count of 70 billion, each serving packs quite a punch in terms of health benefits.
Now, you would have understood the importance of probiotics. Probiotics are good for your health, especially your digestive system and also support a better immune system. probiotic foods and supplements are safe for most people but those with serious health conditions shouldn’t take them. Talk to your doctor first to make sure they’re OK for you. Taking the right type of probiotics may help you target specific health issues and improve quality of life. If you’re ready to make a purchase, click on the desired product above and place an order today!